Bonsai tree care changes with the seasons. Bonsai trees can make great decoration, but can be hard to take care of. In the winter the bonsai tree wants to escape the cold. In the summer the Bonsai tree want shelter from the Sun. In other words, the Bonsai tree wants perfect weather all the time.
The Spring and the Fall are two great seasons to be a bonsai tree owner.
Spring Bonsai Tree Care
- Do a thorough check of your tree to ensure it has come through the winter with health. Check the roots for rot and check the branches and fine twigs for any damage.
- Decide whether your pot needs repotting, if it requires a larger home particularly.
- Nurseries receive Bonsai from overseas often during Spring – could be a season to take on a new project!
- Evergreen Bonsai should be given fertiliser in early Spring.
- Towards the end of Spring, deciduous Bonsai will need to be pruned/pinched.
3 Bosai Tree Warnings:
- Do not keep your Bonsai under a plastic roof! These types of roof absorb heat and can kill your Bonsai.
- Do not keep your Bonsai near brick walls or metal walls etc. These also reflect heat
- NEVER water your tree’s leaves or foliage in hot weather, direct sun or windy days. Leaf burn will occur!
Source: Bonsai Made Easy